Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hearing Tests - Check

Thomas and I had a wonderful visit first thing this morning at Scottish Rite to meet with Audiology.  We discussed the new possible diagnosis and how Duane Syndrome and Wildervanck are linked to hearing loss.  We also discussed the fact that he has been evaluated as having a speech delay and is recommended to speech therapy.  So, she went through some very specific intense testing of his hearing and everything shows that the tubes are open and working and he is hearing the four main frequencies necessary for speech.  She also explained that at this time we cannot determine if the tubes are a temporary fix for his hearing issues.  We know that for now the tubes are working and he can hear. 

She did recommend a hearing check every three months in order to catch any issues before they affect development again.  We both assume once the tubes begin to fail that he will loose his hearing.  So, the sooner we can catch it then we can fix it and prevent any secondary delays.

I really liked her and the way they conducted themselves in testing my baby.  Although I am not happy that it takes me over a hour to get to that location, I am really tempted to make all of his hearing test at that location.  You cannot put a price on a mother's trust and confidence in the people working with her child.

On another note, I have everything ready to go for my kit back to Boston.  I just need to fill the last tube with Thomas' saliva.  I have been putting that one off since it took quite a while to collect it from the older boys.

Thank you for the prayers and support!! It is a relief to know that my baby is hearing us completely at this time!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Allison, we are keeping you all in our prayers, especially Thomas! - Gary and Jaime Terrell

    ReplyDelete