Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Many Hands of God




Today was amazing!!  I trembled as I stood at the altar holding a very wiggly toddler with my 7 year old holding his hands at his mouth filled with anxiety, my 4 year old dancing around as if performing on a stage and my husband standing tall hands folded surround by his family.  As I looked out at the beautiful people I have come to know and love over the last four and a half years, I could feel nothing but pure love.  Love for me and each person in my family, not just Thomas.  My eyes would well with water, but a tear never formed for each time I thought it would instead I would smile.  I was smiling because of the words my pastor was saying as he asked the church to pray for us, to pray for Thomas, to pray for a miracle.  At the end of service, we were able to stand in the narthex and be hugged, blessed, and touched by so many that we knew and a couple we had not had the privilege of meeting yet. 

Today was the day to remember our baptism at our church and we had been through the service and had recited the words that were said at our baptism.  In our church, most are baptized as infants and don't actually recall the day they were baptized and the promises that were made.  It isn't until they are of age and go through confirmation that they make the choice themselves.  So each year, we have a service where we recall our own baptism and the  words and the meaning.  Thomas was baptized last summer when he was four months old.  It was then that we as parents promised to raise him in the church to know and learn about God, where the church promised to raise him, teach him, pray for him and love him as a child of God and a part of our church family.  We had come to the altar this morning at the suggestion of a dear friend of mine.  In light of my last blog post, she thought this would be a good opportunity to allow the church family the privileged to lay their hands on him and pray for him.  I had not heard of this before and went to my pastor.  He was delighted at the proposition and wanted us to attend both services this morning, so we did.

Walking down the aisle with my family and standing in front of all asking for them to pray for a miracle for my child is definitely one of the most spiritual things I have ever done in my life.  Next to being confirmed in the church, marrying my husband and baptizing all three of my sons.  It was humbling and moving in ways that its hard to describe.  Thomas is such a child of God as he is teaching his mother to do things she never thought she would do, feel things she never thought she would feel and ask for the things she never would have otherwise.  My walk with God has changed over the last couple of months that is hard to put into words.  It does not put me in a higher place or better than anyone else at all.  I use to pray for a better relationship with God, for better understanding, for him to walk with me everyday.  My prayers have changed now to let me serve you better Lord for all you have given me, let me show others how to serve you, heal those who are hurting and suffering that they may know your touch of love and comfort for only God can touch your heart in the times and places that no one else can.  It still amazes me that God chose me for this walk, he knows something that I don't.  All I know is I cannot do this without him, without my family, my friends and my church family.

I have been Methodists for most of my life, baptized as an infant, confirmed to the church.  I did go to the Baptist church for several years and then after marriage returned the Methodist church.  I had never heard of the laying on hands though and had to do my own research.  I found several references in the Bible:

1 Timothy 4:14 Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

Acts 6:6 They presented these men to the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.

Jesus could heal by the laying of hands, we cannot.  It is only through God that healing can be done.  The congregation this morning showed their willingness to openly pray and lay their hands on Thomas and pray for a miracle.  We underestimate God to often and his power to truly make miracles happen here on earth.  This earth is so cruel to us and cause us so much harm.  Tonight as I write this to you, I am calm.  I know the tests have been done and the results have been read and tomorrow will be the delivering of the message to me.  However, God is powerful and good.  No matter what happens tomorrow, he's got it.  He's got my back. God has my back.  Take comfort in knowing he has your back too. 

The appointment is tomorrow at 10:20am.  I will share the information as soon as I can.  

Here are some pictures from today's service taken by my dear friends of mine.


Pastor Darris with Thomas

 This picture is so powerful, I love these people so much! 
God was here today!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment