Friday, January 6, 2012

On my knees. . . will you join me?

Usually I post after results and after procedures and appointments with information on upcoming events.  But I really need your support right now.  Thomas' Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon called me back today after my second call of demanding his opinion of the results of his MRI from last Wednesday.  I received a copy of the report for the fabulous Neurologists that we saw on Wednesday but as a non-medical professional it really provides me no information.  It does state he has Klippel-Feil Syndrome but then continues to say that after tedious attempts were made to describe the anomalies in detail level by level, they found it extremely difficult due to several limitations including young a small relatively crowded vertebral bodies and the inherent limitations of MRI at this age.  Okay, so you can't detail it our for the doctor which means he probably is going to look at it himself which is why it took all week for him to call me back. There office in general is quite busy and it usually takes three to four weeks for us to get an appointment even when its the doctor calling wanting to see us.

Anyway, they called me back this morning and we have an appointment Monday morning.  I will have to be honest with you, my mom's intuition made my stomach drop.  I appreciate having an appointment so soon, but it makes me quite concerned that they were able to get an appointment that soon.  Then the scheduling nurse ask me the question "Is Thomas okay?"  Yes, he is okay.  Of course, he is okay.  As I am on the phone with you he is assisting in unloading my dishwasher when that is not the task at hand.  Why would she ask me that?  What does she know that I don't?  Was she just being nice?  UGH!!!

I know you guys all come and read this because you have come to love my little man and love him so much.  Please pray for us that I can think positive and focus until Monday morning and that we will receive good news!!!  The best news would be that everything looks fine enough and that we will just continue to monitor him every six months. 

Thank you each and every one of you.  I had no idea what plan God had for me and my son and this blog, but I know it is all for good. 


That is what they call sleeping like a
baby!
So hard and peaceful without a care in the
world to disturb their slumber.

Psalm 46:10 be still and know that I am God.

4 comments:

  1. Praying! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allison,
    You are an awesome Mom with an incredible innate ability for knowing what all your sons' needs are. Waiting is always so hard especially when when smart people get just bits of information at a time. I'm surprised that the ortho office didn't automatically set up a follow-up appointment but anyway, I feel pretty sure that if the neurologist gave you a copy of the report that he would have at least read it first. So knowing that he handed you the report without any reservations or cautions gives me the impression that he might not have been overly concerned with what the report said. I think too that he would probably have consulted with the ortho doc if he saw the need.
    I would be alarmed at reading what you read on the report too and also remember from my time working in a medical practice, that radiologists dictate as they are reading the films and they most likely really couldn't provide further information for the reasons stated, especially knowing the nature of Klippel-Feil Syndrome to present with varying degrees of spinal fusion would indeed make the areas between the vertebrae hard to read.
    And could it be that when you were switched to scheduling, they probably told them to give Thomas the soonest available or to fill an "emergency spot" for Monday. Ortho offices are notoriously busy on Mondays (from all those weekend adventurers!) Many times they leave several scheduling slots open and will fill them for situations like yours. So the scheduler might not have had any specifics and was simply asking how Thomas was.
    Okay, see I'm really good at rationalizations, so if you want some more, I'm sure that can be arranged! Distractions, you need fun distractions to get you through the weekend!
    Luv you,
    ~V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, sorry that was soooooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you V!! I do appreciate all of the positive thoughts and comments and they are all quite possible. No sense in dwelling on the worst of things, but definitely an opportunity to be still and lean on my Lord.

    ReplyDelete